Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Spices and Herbs

I just updated my spice rack. After years of assorted babyfood and tiny jam jars and miscellaneous used spice jars, I bought a couple of 12-packs of 4 oz. canning jars - on sale for $6. I almost bought some aluminum tins that have clear plastic lids, but I decided that they were not quite airtight enough and something about the metal and the plastic just doesn't feel quite right to me. I think the herbs might get stale faster if they aren't airtight and I think the plastic and aluminum could interact with the herbs. Also I like being able to look through the glass and see what's inside.

I have had this wooden spice rack for at least 25 years. I like that it has dowels that keep the jars from falling off. One should keep spices and herbs in a place that is easy to access from the food prep area, but not too close to the heat of the stove or sunlight from windows.

BEFORE:


AFTER:



Here's a basic list of the spices and herbs I like to keep on hand. I don't like to have big containers of spices - they lose flavor, especially when they sit 'round for months and years. I prefer to buy small amounts from the bulk section, so I can use it up and get fresh spices when I need more.

dried:

oregano
cumin (seeds & ground)
cayenne
chili powder
garam masala
basil
turmeric
paprika (regular and smoked)
dill (weed & seed)
celery seed
coriander seed
saffron
tarragon
sumac
poppy seeds
sesame seeds (brown and black)
fennel seeds
fenugreek seeds
mustard seeds (yellow and black)
dried mustard powder
ginger (dried ground, fresh gingerroot, and candied ginger)
cinnamon (ground and sticks)
nutmeg (whole)
allspice
cardamom
anise seed
caraway seed
furikake (Japanese seaweed & fish - comes in many varieties, serve on rice)

fresh in the garden:
basil
sage
thyme
rosemary
bay leaves
parsley
celery leaf
dill
marjoram ("Italian oregano")
savory

No comments:

Post a Comment