Tuesday, October 19, 2010
· Use organic lemons, if you will.
· Cut the peel off of the lemon (s) in strips. Try to get just the yellow part.
· Julienne the peel strips into thin pieces.
· Remove as much of the white pith as you can from the rest of the lemon (s).
· Slice the lemon bodies into thin slices (1/8").
· Put the lemon bits in a saucepan; for every 1 cup of lemon peel and slices, add 1 cup of water.
· Leave the lemon and water mixture to stand for 4 hours or overnight.
· Bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer, covered for 30 minutes.
· Add 1 cup of sugar per 1 cup of lemon / water mixture.
· Bring back to a boil. Be careful & keep heat low, since it will probably try to bubble up furiously.
· Simmer, stirring, another 30 minutes, with the lid off. I used a silicone spatula to stir down the sides.
· Test the marmalade: Put a little of the mixture into a cup and chill the cup in the freeze or in a cool water bath. If it is still real runny, cook it a little longer. Be careful not to scorch the marmalade.
· (If you want a very firm marmalade, you might want to add a little bit of liquid pectin - follow instructions on the package)