Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Hilda's Chicken Corn Chowder with Dumplings


My Mama used to make this soup, and while it may not seem like anything special, for me it represents comfort and mothering. For years, I've tried to make it but could never make it like she did, and she could never really say how she made it.

When I made it today, it tastes like I remember it.

I bought two large fresh chicken breasts, and roasted them by cutting up two carrots and two potatoes and making a "rack" with them in an iron skillet, placing the chicken on top, sprinkling it with some salt and pepper and roasting in a hot oven (425°).

Later, after I ate the chicken, I put the bones in a pot and covered with water and simmered (with lid on) on low for 4 - 5 hours with a little garlic and onion. Let the broth cool, refrigerated it overnight, strained it (removed the fat that rose to the top). It made about 4 cups of broth.

Peeled & cut up two smallish potatoes, cooked them in the broth with a little bit of salt.  When the potatoes were soft, I smooshed them with my new antique potato masher, and added about 1/4 cup chopped celery (frozen, from my garden), about 1/2 cup frozen corn, S & P. Brought back up to a simmer.
before adding the dumplings:

Made dumpling dough with 1/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup milk, 1 T egg white (I used powdered), 1/2 tsp Fines Herbs, and a little S & P. Dropped small spoonfuls into the simmering liquid, covered the pan and cooked for about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment