Pages

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

RUSSIAN BLACK BREAD

This bread is dark and fragrant. It has coffee and cocoa in it so it actually is caffeinated.
I did not use a recipe or measure, so I don't think I can write a detailed recipe here.
This is my method:
Put 1/4 cup warm water in a cup, add a teaspoon of molasses, sprinkle 1 pkg of yeast on it and let stand about 5 minutes, until bubbly. I don't use Rapid Rise yeast, just regular. In a large bowl I mixed the yeast mixture, another 1 to 1 & 1/2 cups warm water and about 1 cup dark rye flour,  1/2 cup of unbleached flour,  and 1/2 cup gluten flour - mixed vigorously until it is very smooth and elastic. Then I added about 3 T dark molasses, 2 T unbleached cocoa, 2 tsp espresso powder (or you could use very strong coffee instead of the water), 1/2 tsp salt.  I then added about 1/2 cup each buckwheat flour,  whole wheat pastry flour, and a little more rye flour and unbleached white flour, mixed in the stand mixer with dough hook until it was of the right consistency (formed into a wet but smooth ball). Poured 1/4 cup canola oil over the dough, put a loose cover on the bowl, put in the fridge overnight. The next day I punched it down, mixed in the oil, and kneaded the dough on a floured board. Formed into batons or baguettes. Snipped the loaves (with scissors, but professional bakers use a razor blade) and left in a warm place to rise 30-40 minutes. Baked in a 400° oven about 15 - 20 minutes.                  
snipped:

 rising:
 into the oven:
 hot bread:




No comments:

Post a Comment